Are you looking for ideas about social studies differentiated instruction? Look no further. Below are ideas that were used in the “Expanding the Nation’s Boundaries” differentiated instruction lesson plan on http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Store/Kasha-Mastrodomenico which specializes in middle school social studies differentiated instruction. This lesson is based on the NYS social studies curriculum and standards.
Expanding the Nation’s Boundaries Differentiated Instruction Lesson Plan
This social studies differentiated instruction lesson plan includes:
- Lesson Plan
- There are three different ability levels of vocabulary sheets. The enriched version allows for more critical thinking by making the students write the definition in their own words. The average version has students filling in the blanks of the definitions. The basic version has the complete definition to allow them to read the definition and then work on step two, which is on all of the versions; write a sentence or draw a picture to show understanding of the vocabulary word.
Expanding the Nation’s Boundaries Differentiated Instruction Vocabulary
- There are 2 different note sheets for the enriched level version of the notes. There are two different note sheets for the basic leveled version of notes. The enriched note sheet can be used for both versions. The different ability leveled note sheets allow some to do more critical thinking and others to focus on the content and then review with a partner after each slide is presented.This provides repetition for students who need it and enrichment for others.
Basic Level Note Sheets
- Student Choice Sheet to help teachers group appropriately
- The activity is creating two billboard signs to represent the purchase of Louisiana and Florida. Teachers can choose to use mixed ability leveled paired grouping and use the enriched level version only or they can use similar ability leveled paired grouping and use both the enriched and basic leveled versions. Teachers can also allow students to choose, the day before, whether they would like to work by themselves or with a partner. This gives the teacher enough time to group appropriately. A student choice sheet has been provided for this.The basic level includes ideas of logos for both purchases. Providing both logos reduces the amount of critical thinking for them and allows them to focus on the repetition of the content while still allowing them to be creative with the drawing and designing where the logo and picture should go on the billboard. The enriched version assumes the student can critically think at a higher level to create their own logos.
Differentiated Instruction Activity
- There is a homework assignment that focuses on expository writing with a grading checklist. It is part of my leveled writing system.
Leveled Writing System
The Expanding the Nation’s Boundaries differentiated instruction lesson plan also comes with a Leveled PowerPoint mini-lesson (Basic and Enriched versions). It includes the following content:
- Native American Concessions
- Monroe Doctrine
- Sphere of Influence
- Adams-Onis Treaty
- Louisiana Purchase
- Pinckney Treaty
Expanding the Nation’s Boundaries Differentiated Instruction PowerPoint
To find out where you can find the “Expanding the Nation’s Boundaries” differentiated instruction lesson plan and PowerPoint, click here.