I am proud to announce the addition of the “Government Response to Industrialization and Abuses” differentiated instruction lesson plan and revised PowerPoint! It follows the NYS 8th grade social studies curriculum. Below is a sneak peek of what is included.
Table of Contents
- Lesson Plan (3-8)
- 3 Ability Levels of Vocabulary Sheets (9-14)
- Enriched Note Sheets (15-16)
- Basic Note Sheets for Enriched PowerPoint (17-19)
- Basic Note Sheets for Basic PowerPoint (20-22)
- Enriched Economic Activity Sheet (23)
- Basic Economic Activity Sheet (24)
- Basic Economic Activity Answer Key (25)
- Activity Choice Sheet (26)
- Rap and Dance Activity with Rubric (27-28)
- News Article Activity with Rubric (29-31)
Grade: middle school
Title of Unit: Industrial Society in the 2nd Half of the 19thCentury
Title of Lesson: Government Response to Industrial Development and Abuses
1. Standards addressed in lesson: You will need to put your state standards here. (NY 4 and 5)
2. Concepts used in lesson: Economic Systems, Factors of Production, Government
3. Materials/supplies needed for lesson: computer, projector, and screen for PowerPoint, vocabulary sheets, note sheets, economic activity sheets, activity choice sheet, rap and dance and news article activity sheets, colors for newspaper drawing
4. Approximate length of lesson: 2 days
5. Multiple Intelligences: linguistic, logical, musical, spatial, kinesthetic, intrapersonal, interpersonal
6. Teaching Strategies Used: anticipatory set, group work, vocabulary taught before lesson, check for understanding, timer, processing time, partner review, concluding set
7. Background Information:
a. yesterday students…
b. Students already know… there are businesses in the US.
8. Essential vocabulary needed: (definitions are included)
- Social Darwinism:
- Market Economy:
- Command or Planned Economy:
- Mixed Economy:
- Interstate Commerce:
9. Essential Questions:
- What is the difference between laissez-faire and regulation?
- What type of government regulations were put into effect?
- What was the purpose of the Sherman Antitrust Act?
10. Anticipatory Set: (Day 1: 12 minutes; Day 2: 16 minutes or less depending on if there was time left over the previous day to do this; if all vocabulary was done the day before just have the students review the vocabulary words for 5 minutes) There are three different ability levels of vocabulary sheets to differentiate instruction. The enriched version allows for more critical thinking by making the students write the definition in their own words. The average version has students filling in the blanks of the definitions. The basic version has the complete definition to allow them to read the definition and then work on step two, which is on all of the versions; write a sentence or draw a picture to show understanding of the vocabulary word. Day One’s activity is short which will allow you to have your students work on the vocabulary that will be used on day 2.
11. Notes: (25 minutes) In order to differentiate instruction there are different ability levels of note sheets. There is an enriched version of the note sheets that work with both of the PowerPoints. There are two basic versions of the note sheets that work with the basic PowerPoint and the enriched PowerPoint. Below are the notes that are in the “Government Response to Industrial Development and Abuses” PowerPoint. (This preview only includes the headings of the PowerPoint and a view of four of the slides from the enriched version of the PowerPoint as well as pictures of the note sheets.) The different ability leveled note sheets allow some to do more critical thinking and others to focus on the content and then review with a partner after each slide is presented.This provides repetition for students who need it. The notes are separated into two days.
Government Response to Industrial Development and Abuses
- Opposition to Capitalism (enriched only)
- Laissez-faire vs. Regulation
- Interstate Commerce
- Sherman Antitrust Act: Bigness as a Threat
Basic Note Sheets
Enriched Note Sheets
12. Differentiated Instruction Activities:
Day 1: (15-20 minutes)The economic systems activity should be done after the laissez-faire vs. regulation slide of the PowerPoint.There are two different ability levels of the economic activity sheet to differentiate instruction. The enriched sheet allows for more critical thinking. The basic sheet is more for repetition and identification of the different types of economies.You can allow your students to work individually, with a partner or with a small group. You will need to make sure that if they are partnered or grouped, each member in the group has the same ability level sheet.
Left: Enriched/ Right: Basic
Day 2: (35-40 minutes)Use the activity choice sheet the day before you plan on doing the activity. Students will be allowed to choose to create either a rap and dance or a newspaper article. These options are based on the Multiple Intelligence Theory to differentiate instruction. The rap and dance must be done in a group. The newspaper article may be done individually, with a partner or in a group with no more than 4 people. Using the activity choice sheet the day before will allow you to run off enough copies of each activity and group appropriately. It is recommended you group using mixed ability levels.
It is important that you check the rap before the performance to make sure there is nothing vulgar in it. Sometimes students hear the word “rap” and immediately think they are on MTV and don’t think they will get in trouble for vulgarity even though it states in the activity that it will not be accepted.
Student Activity Choice Sheet
Rap and Dance Activity with Rubric
News Article Activity with Rubric
13. Concluding Set: Answer the essential questions during a class discussion or have students write down their answers as a ticket out the door.
14. Evaluation: There is an answer key for the economic activity for the basic version. No answer sheet is available for the enriched version because answers will vary. There are rubrics for both the newspaper article and the rap and dance activities.
http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Store/Kasha-Mastrodomenico offers this differentiated instruction lesson plan (soon) and much more. Our site specializes in middle school social studies differentiated instruction. Check out what we offer by visiting our site!